Sunday, March 07, 2010

Writers Conferences

If you're a writer, or want to be one, are you going to writers conferences? I think attending conferences are incredibly helpful in your writing journey. I know it's a hit to your budget, but if you consider it a business expense it softens the blow.

I've enjoyed going to the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) yearly conference, the Colorado Christian Writers Conference (CCWC), and will return this summer to the Writers' Workshop at Glen Eyrie. Last weekend I attended a great one-day conference in Colorado Springs.

The information, encouragement, and friendships you get from conferences are worth the cost. If you're serious about your commitment to writing you should figure out a way to add the cost of attending a writers conference to your budget. Most conferences have scholarships or you can offer to work at some conferences in exchange for tuition assistance.

In a few months I'll be off to the CCWC, May 12-15 in beautiful Estes Park. Are you going?

CCWC was the first writers conference I attended. It was a big step for me, acknowledging that I was indeed pursuing publishing and making the efforts necessary to learn about the craft and the industry. That was in 2001.

I’m excited to share that I’m also teaching an Early Bird Workshop at CCWC on Creating Convincing Characters. CCWC is a great conference with workshops, clinics, continuing sessions, panels, and valuable time spent with authors, literary agents, and editors.

No comments: