Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Writers are Like Angora Sweaters

Every Tuesday I meet with my WFTJ writers. Yesterday was no exception. I just love those people.

Today I realized that writers groups are like angora sweaters. Being a part of a writers group and spending time with writers is a soft, warm, comfy place. Creative people who put themselves on the line every time someone reads their work can tend to be emotional. And insecure. But when you're in a writers group like WFTJ it's all good.

You can lay it on the line at WFTJ and not be dismissed or ignored.

Today one of our writers showed us her heart for her craft and her Lord. It was sweet. There were tears and encouragement and acceptance. Wonderful. We wrapped her in soothing warmth and security. More than that, she modeled an attitude that should be followed. She showed us that hope is an active pursuit and desperation need not be a part of the journey.

I also had the fun to share about a new author I've read. Leanna Ellis has sold more than a million novels, but Once in a Blue Moon is the first book of her's that I've read.

Once in a Blue Moon had several of the elements I enjoy in a good book: a quirky, flawed character, a romantic interest, and an intriguing story.
Bryn Seymour was nine years old when her mother died--the same day that the Apollo 11 landed on the moon. Continue reading my review. . .

5 comments:

Jaime Wright said...

Great review and great analogy - writers/angora ... love it! :)

Unknown said...

Megan, you're so right when you compare the fellowship with other writers to the warmth of an angora sweater. Who can resist such coziness? :-)

Robbie Iobst said...

Well worded, Megan! And EXACTLY right. I love WFTJ. :0)

Kay Day said...

I love our group, too!
And I've read and enjoyed two of Leanna Ellis' books, so I'll plan on reading this one, too.

Paula said...

That's how I feel about my crit group and HIS Writers. Beautiful post. And BTW, I liked Leanna Ellis' book Ruby Slippers even better than Blue Moon.