Sunday, October 12, 2008

Focus!

Focus: a state or condition permitting clear perception or understanding.

Yes, I’m going to start something new on my blog. I’m going to have a specific focus. My focus will be on writing, with special attention given to DIY (Do It Yourself) marketing.

I won’t pretend that I’m the last word in either category. I’m more like a work in progress. I’ve had two books published and I’m working on a third. As for marketing, I’m no expert, but I’ve tackled the task with enthusiasm and energy.

If you’re curious about my credentials, I graduated with a degree in Communications with a specialization in Mass Media from SUNY Plattsburgh. In my day job I work in the marketing department of a portrait photography studio known for award-winning and effective marketing campaigns.

My first post on my newly focused blog is about blogging. Why blog? The reason the millions of bloggers blog is as individual as the bloggers themselves. Most writers who blog do so to increase awareness of themselves and their books. That’s the reason I blog, to reach out to readers with a glimpse into the life of a writer.

However, I’ve come to learn that some of my readers are writers, so I’ve decided to focus on DIY marketing as well. I hope that you’ll feel comfortable joining in the conversation and leaving comments that will help us all.

One of the first rules of maintaining a blog is one I’ve broken this past week—you should be consistent in your blogging. The reason for that is to draw people to your blog and maintain a readership. I’m sorry, I had a funky week and broke that rule last week.

I’m also going to start to compile a list of blogs/websites that have to do with marketing books. That list will be a work in progress. If you know of any excellent blogs or websites that discuss marketing, please let me know so I can add it to my list.

If you’re a reader, can you comment of why you read writer’s blogs? And writers, what blogs do you regularly read? Why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan. I've got a little list on my blog of those I read often. Yours is included. I'm excited to see what you have on the DIY marketing. I think so many writers, like myself, are unsure how to do the marketing aspect of their books and of themselves for that matter. I'm excited to see your future posts.

I find Rachel Gardner's website really helpful. Also Kelly Mortimer and Chip MacGregor

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks, Lynn. I'll be compiling that list this week. BTW, I also read those three agent blogs.

~Megan