Tuesday, January 22, 2008

So You Wanna Be A Writer?


Let me tell you, if I had $10 for every person who’s told me that they want to write a book/can write a book/have the perfect story for a book, then I could pay off my mortgage.

Friends, if you want to write a book or feel led to write a book—start writing. It’s not rocket science and it’s not a great mystery. Granted, you’re not going to pen The Great American Novel your first time out of the shoots, but the craft of writing is a skill that can be learned--provided you have a good story to tell.

Now that I’m (nearly) published** I’ve had the unusual experience of people looking at me a little differently than if I said I worked as an accountant for my living. More than one person has said, “Wow. Now I know a famous author.” Tee, hee, hee. That phrase, famous author, cracks me up. My response: “I’ll only be a famous author if you tell everyone you know to buy my book.” And maybe not even then.

My point is, don’t live with regrets, live with dreams. I dreamed of being a published author, and I made the effort to learn everything I need to learn to pursue that dream. Dream big and put legs on that dream. Who knows? One day you may reach your goal.

Hey, do you want to know one of the reasons why I call myself a prisoner of hope? Because I dared to dream. And to tell the truth, I'm still dreaming . . .

**Searching for Spice releases in April. FYI: That’s only 69 days from today!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it Megan! We'll be cheering you on. :)

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks for the kind words, Fredrica. I appreciate it.

Megan

Robbie Iobst said...

Megan, So I am sitting here at Panera reading blogs so I don't have to face a blank screen. I have no idea what I am doing, but writing well enough to have a book of my own out there is a dream that won't go away. You inspire me, Megan. I read your blog and I decided I could, indeed, face that screen again and let God be God of my words...and my dreams. Thanks.

Marion Kelley Bullock said...

I think you're famous and I've read the book--so I ought to know!

Your crit partner, Marion

Carla Gade said...

Thanks for the inspiration!