Thursday, December 08, 2011

Debut author Camille Eide

I'm happy to welcome Camille Eide to my blog today. She's a colleague of mine as we're both represented by the WordServe Literary Agency.

Camille's first book, Savanna's Gift, is a novella that is a contemporary Christmas romance.

Camille, which compliment related to your writing has meant the most and why? I recently received this from a multi-published author and critique partner: “You have an amazing talent for writing scenes and wrenching out the emotion.” Means a lot because I feel I’m more of a wordsmith by nature than a storyteller, so scenes and emotion, which are critical to get right in order for the reader to enjoy the experience, take a lot of work for me. To hear this (unsolicited) means some of that hard work is beginning to show.

When did you first discover that you were a writer? See, the thing is I really never discovered this. I’ve always loved words and had been writing many kinds of things over the years but figured that was normal. (HA! Writers are a lot of things, but normal is not one of them!) Then several years ago, my pastor’s wife bullied me into writing a novel for her. No, that’s a full out lie. She’s really very sweet. We got to collaborating on a story idea one day and we decided I’d write the book. But I thought everyone could write. It didn’t occur to me it was something I needed to get all serious about until I’d gotten halfway through my first novel and discovered it was going to take a ton of staggering, heartbreaking work, and also realized it was work I really wanted to do. But I still didn’t call myself a writer. I think it took completing a novel and getting some unexpected attention for it that I started using the “W” word, and then only in tones barely above a whisper.

What other books have you written, whether published or not? Like There’s No Tomorrow is the contemporary love story of a young Scottish widower who discovers his pen pal is not the kind-hearted, white-haired American spinster he’d pictured, but a lovely young woman. He also discovers his second chance at love means a bigger test to his healed heart and renewed faith than he ever thought he’d have to face.

My Father’s House (2011 Genesis Winner, Women’s Fiction) is also a contemporary love story. Sue Quinn, surrogate mom to a mismatched bunch of outcast teens, is desperate to save the group home she's worked hard to build in Oregon’s outback. Her only hope lies with the last person she'd want help from: a beefy handyman with a guitar, a questionable past, and a God he keeps calling Father.

Both of these books are stand-alones in a 2 book “Love Never Fails” series and are currently seeking a loving publishing home.

What is your favorite food? Lindor White Chocolate balls. But for health reasons, I’m on a no-carb diet pretty much until I die, which will probably be soon since I have to live without chocolate. (Sorry, twisted sense of humor alert. Was that too morbid?)

What is the problem with writing that was your greatest roadblock, and how did you overcome it? Realizing something I’ve written is mediocre or derivative or just plain crud, especially when I compare it to better writing, can be very debilitating to me. I wail to family & friends, “I suck! What on earth made me think I could do this, huh?” (I may have even gone back to the Pastor’s wife and given her a piece of my mind . . . ) But looking back at how far we’ve come (an important exercise I need to remember to do) can help put things into perspective, help us realize growth has happened and will continue to happen. Great writers sucked at one time, I’m almost certain. I had to learn to give myself permission to be where I am today and keep writing. The only writers certain to fail are the ones who quit.

What would you like to tell us about the featured book? Savanna’s Gift is a contemporary Christmas Romance, a novella (eBook), just the right size for the busy holidays. It’s a story about lost love, second chances and recognizing God’s gifts to us, set in an elegantly adorned, rustic ski lodge in the beautiful evergreen Oregon Cascades. And it’s a sweet treat at only $1 thru Dec 24.

Summary: Forced to return to the ski lodge where she once worked, Savanna Holt is reminded of one special Christmas and how ambition led her to make the worst mistake of her life: Leaving Luke Nelson. Stunned to discover Luke never left, but worked his way up from lift operator to manager, Savanna sees the opportunity as a gift from God. She’s determined to win Luke back. But Luke wants no reminders of his past hurt, or a relationship with the woman who put ambition before love. Can Savanna convince Luke she’s changed and her interest isn't because of his position? And when her dream job beckons, will she sacrifice her dream for a second chance at love?

How can readers find you on the Internet?

Website: www.camilleeide.com

Blog: Extreme Keyboarding

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/camille.eide

Twitter: @CamilleEide

Savanna’s Gift can be found at:

At White Rose Publishing: http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/savanna-s-gift

AMAZON (Kindle) http://t.co/pzIHy8kG

6 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks for the great interview, ladies. I love the questions you asked, Megan.

Camille, I'm sorry you're dealing with health issues, especially those of such a nature that they've forced you to give up chocolate. I gave it up voluntarily a few years back. I was totally addicted to it and asked the Lord to help me as I chose to remove it from my diet, which He has. I'm proof kicking the chocolate habit is possible and that life can still be fulfilling. :-)

Paula said...

I love this post. Beautiful story. And I want to read about "Like There's No Tomorrow" right now! How do I get your published book for $1?

Camille Eide said...

Keli - so there's hope, thank the Lord. You are sweet as can be, so I guess I can no longer blame being a crankypants on that...drat. :-)

Paula, if you have any clout with publishers, maybe we can see LTNT on the shelves soon. I'd love to get it in your hands!!!!

Thanks, Megan for having me on your cool blog. Blessings!

Jillian Kent said...

Hi Camille,
Sounds like a great story I will go buy in just a moment and I'm really fascinated by "Like There’s No Tomorrow." Let me know when you get that story out there.

I'm looking at my diet too because of osteoarthritis issues. If I have to give up chocolate I'll be sharing your twisted sense of humor.:)

Karla Akins said...

Have I told you lately how much I love your wordsmithing ways? You are a jewel of a writer, Camille! This was a great interview! Awesome on top of awesome!

Jessica Nelson said...

Great interview! I'm tempted to pray that someone invents no-carb chocolate, just for you. *grin* That was a great compliment you got. Hold it close, sweet lady. :-)