Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Inspired

I'm inspired by pretty words. Sometimes when I'm having a hard time getting words out of my mind and into my document, I take the time to read well-written fiction.

This past week I was lost in the worlds of 1940s New Orleans and 1969 Chicago and Asia created by Patti Lacy. Her writing is so beautiful and evocative. It stirred my soul and fired my imagination.

Let me share some snippets from Patti Lacy's The Rhythm of Secrets:

"Intuition set a wildfire ablaze in a heart accustomed, with his absence, to a sputtering light." (Isn't that lovely?!)

And then this heart stopper: "She'd do anything for this husband she was about to betray. Except stop the betrayal."

Here's the book description:
Sheila Franklin has lived three separate lives. Now a conservative pastor's wife in Chicago, she is skilled at hiding secrets--a talent birthed during childhood romps through the music-filled streets of New Orleans. But when the son she bore at the age of eighteen comes back looking for answers and desperate for help, her greatest secret--and greatest regret--is revealed.

Thanks, Patti. I loved your book.

No comments: