Thursday, July 15, 2010

Happy Thoughts

I took a short nap today -- not something I often do. I must have needed the break because I feel so rested and at peace despite the fact that I should have been pounding out my word count. I think I had some pleasant dreams.

I'm a bit of a homebody. Sure, I enjoy going out and spending time with friends, but my best days are those spent at home. Right now I'm writing on my Adirondack chair in my little backyard.

I love the sounds of my neighborhood -- a car door closing, voices of neighbors greeting one another, my lovely fountain, the breeze through the Aspens, and of course, the nearly ever-present hum of lawn mowers (this is suburbia, you know).

This little piece of earth is my happy place. Right now my garden is blooming with different types of lilies. They're shades of yellow, orange, and pink. My favorite is pictured below. It's the color of the first blush of sunset, before the sun sinks low enough to create an explosion of bright orange and pink.


I've always craved a quiet, gentle place to relax. Now I realize that I've created such an oasis in my own backyard. I'm like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I understand that all I need is right here at home.

How about you? Where's your happy place? Is is close to home or is it found on an adventure?

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love being home too! This it the place I am happiest. I love to curl up and write in my comfy armchair in my family room while listening to the birds calling from my bird-feeder right outside my window. Of course, occasionally this becomes difficult by the distraction of one of my children yelling, "it's mine! Give it back now!"