Thursday, February 14, 2008

We've Come a Long Way, Baby



I want to go here. It’s somewhere in Ireland, probably in Limerick.

The photo was taken in 1907, when my grandmother, her mother and sisters went to visit family. Isn't the little dog in the photo cute? No wonder I love terriers, it must be in my DNA.

My grandmother is standing, second from left and her mother is sitting in front of her on the left. Those women were born in 1880 and 1848. My great aunts are the two ladies standing on the right. What a different world they inhabited from the reality I experience today. My grandmother passed away a few months before I was born. I’ve often thought what it would be like if she could experience one day of the present time with me. Where would I even begin to explain the advances in culture and technology to her? Just an interesting thought I had.

Another thought—my great grandmother was only a little over six years older than I am now when that photo was taken. Yowsa. I hope I age better than great-granny!

I made a copy of this photo and sent it to my cousin Jeanne, who is into genealogy. Although we’ve never met in person, we’ve emailed and shared family history. Who knows, maybe all of the information Jeanne’s sharing will somehow, someday end up in a book.

PS: If you look to the far left side of the photo, you'll see the horses a** that my dad said he always knew was in the family.

3 comments:

Kay Day said...

I love old photos and geneological stuff! This is great!
My grandma was born in 1903, but I was able to know her. She died 11 years ago this month on her 95th birthday.
I regret that, being a self-centered kid, I didn't talk to her more. I didn't reap everything I could have.

Jan Parrish said...

You never know, granny could be hot for her day and age. :) They all look uptight. I wonder if that's what they'll say about us 100 years from now?

tonya said...

I love seeing old photos. Today, we can take tons of pictures of our lives. But back then, it was one or two. Great post.