Monday, June 25, 2007

On Top of the World




What a difference a year makes. Last summer I posted about the writing journey being like an uphill climb. http://megandimaria.blogspot.com/2006/08/uphill-climb.html. This year I’m finally nearing the pinnacle. I’ve got a two-book contract with Tyndale House Publishers for my women’s fiction. A dream come true. Actually, I’m on top of the world. Just like last weekend when my sweetie and I took a trip to the mountains. As I stood on that mountaintop, I could sense the great distance I’d come—from newbie writer to writing student to dreamer to published writer. Amazing. Praise God!

Here’s part of what I said in 2006, “Like most hiking trails, the one I was on started out smoothly and was clearly marked. I was fully confident that it would be a piece of cake. Then the path began to get steeper, and there were rocks, boulders and tree roots in the way. I was getting hot and sweaty. Even the water bottle began to feel like a 20 pound weight. I kept climbing upward and put my weary muscles out of my mind, and if my toe kicked a rock on the way, I remember to lift my foot higher the next time there was an obstacle in the path. I also tried not to get distracted by hikers who gave up and turned back before reaching their goal.



I bet many of those hikers could have had the thrill of reaching their goal if only they persisted. I have the same theory when it comes to being a published author. If only we persist, continue to strive for improvement and keep our eye on the goal, we just might reach that pinnacle we’ve dreamed of.”

2 comments:

D. Gudger said...

Megan, you are speaking my language (mountains, hiking). Your analogy is very timely and very encouraging. I'm approaching treeline where scree slips and rolls under my Vibram soles sending me back three feet for every step I take.

Your words, your photography has encouraged me as I'm thinking, "Why in the world did I ever think I could write a novel..."

Jan Parrish said...

I am so proud of you for having the faith and the tenacity to stick it out. I couldn't be more pleased for you.