Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Writers need the gift of perspective


Happy is the person who dreams dreams and is willing to take the steps to make them come true. Don't be afraid to start climbing and I'll see you at the top! ~ Zig Ziglar

I’ve been thinking about perspective lately. So much of life’s experiences depend on perspective, especially for writers. We commit ourselves to long periods of solitary work and then endure the difficult process of publication. Even after publication, it's not a walk in the park. 

But whether you succeed in being published or not, I think the journey's worth it. Writers tend to learn about themselves and their place in the world through the practice of writing. 


Here are two quotes on life, which author do you think had a better life?

  • We are born wet, naked, and hungry. Then things get worse.  ~Author Unknown
  • Here is the world.  Beautiful and terrible things will happen.  Don't be afraid.  ~Frederick Buechner

 The challenge in life is to gain control of your perspective. Look for the positive, even in the midst of a down cycle. It's possible, trust me. 

You can look at the hours of writing and creating as work, or you can view that time spent as being obedient to what you believe is your call or your duty. Time spent in creativity is never wasted -- either it will impact the world or it will impact you. Either way, it's good!

Be brave. Write despite the fear your work will never be read. God planted this dream in your heart. Write to please Him, and don't worry about the rest. 

4 comments:

Tracy Krauss said...

'Time spent in creativity is never wasted... either it will impact others or .. impact you" this is such excellent advice.

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks, Tracy!

Anonymous said...

Catching up on reading your blog, Megan. Part of my R & R. :-) And I ditto Tracy. I'm going to add your comment on creativity to my list to share when I speak on Creativity, Writing, or Dreaming Big with God. Your insight is always an encouragement! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Mary Kay

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks, Mary Kay. I'm honored to have you share my words.