Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for other stuff, too.

Since it's Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share some random thoughts on thankfulness. I could run down the list of faith, family and friends, but then my list would look like a thousand other lists. Don't get me wrong, I'm abundantly blessed and have wonderful family and friends, but that's not the point here.

  • I'm thankful for happy memories that make me cry. They illustrate the depth of love that I've experienced.
  • I'm thankful for the difficulties I've encountered. They've helped me persist and keep moving forward with renewed optimism.
  • I'm thankful for the people in my life who have betrayed and rejected me. They've made me more sensitive to the people I love and cherish, and they've helped me to understand that I'm not entitled to kindness, no one is. They've also instilled in me a spirit of thankfulness for kindnesses shown to me.
  • I'm thankful that Mary Gleeson Minehan (pictured on the right) carried a delicious dressing recipe with her when she came from Ireland to NY 100+ years ago and handed down the recipe to her daughter who handed it her daughter who handed it to me. She's my great grandmother. :)
  • I'm thankful publishing hasn't been an easy journey for me. That way I continue to improve my craft and I'm even more grateful for any success I enjoy.
  • I'm thankful for the memory my daughter shared today: For several years before he passed away, my Dad joined us for Thanksgiving. He loved to cook. One year my daughter watched him put the turkey in the oven and asked, "What do we do now?" My Dad smiled and said, "We dance!" And they did, to an old Louis Armstrong CD. I love remembering that day. Dad took turns dancing with me and my daughters. Another happy memory that makes me tearful.
  • I'm thankful that not all my goals have been met. It keeps me dreaming of the future.
What are some things you're thankful for?

7 comments:

darien said...

I'm thankful for thoughtful people who share stories like the ones you posted. We should all dance, every single day.

Crystal

Megan DiMaria said...

Thank YOU, Crystal, for your kind words.

~M

Keli Gwyn said...

Megan, I think it's neat that you're using a stuffing recipe handed down from your great-grandmother. I love the story of you and your daughters dancing with your father. He must have been a wonderful man.

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks, Keli. I can't imagine Thanksgiving without the flavor of great grandmother's stuffing.

Jaime Wright said...

I'm thankful for leftovers! :)

carlaahendricks said...

Megan, I love your spirit of thankfulness -- even for things that bring you to tears. The story of your father dancing with your daughter brought tears to my eyes. I too am thankful that my writing life has not been as easy as I'd hoped. It has made me persevere, pray more and be grateful for the tiniest victories!

Megan DiMaria said...

I'm also thankful that nice folks like you gals visit my blog and take the time to comment.

Have a blessed week!